Indoor Air Quality Investigations
Entek staff have been conducting indoor air quality (IAQ) investigations for various lengths of time beginning in 1979 when Mr. Beall was with Cal/OSHA Consultation Service. These services have continued through Entek and have increased significantly.
Investigations performed by Entek have included evaluations of ventilation systems for air flow at supply and return registers for comparison to as-built drawings, and measurement of outside air delivery using a Kurz air velocity meter in conjunction with an air flow hood. These airflow measurements have been made to determine compliance with ASHRAE Standards, “Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality”. Various particulates that have been evaluated include fiberglass, settled dust, electrostatic dusts, total dust, total fibers, crystalline silica, and bioaerosols which include bacteria and fungal spores. Real time measurements of particulate inside of buildings from wood burning during atmospheric inversions, and for airborne particulate during California wild fire seasons.
Indoor Air Quality Services Include:
- LEED air sampling compliance for PM-10, Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC’s), Formaldehyde, carbon monoxide (CO), and 4-Phenylcyclohexene (4-PCH)
- Carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, temperature, and relative humidity continuous monitoring for two week periods using a data logger for data chains and graphical evaluation
- Settled dust evaluation on return air registers and work stations for particle identification by polarized light microscopy (PLM)
- Particulate monitoring using direct reading data loggers for total dust, respirable dust, and particle size fractions
- Indoor investigations involving mold spore evaluation, biological particle evaluation including pollen, trees, weeds
- Bacterial investigations including airborne and surface sampling using cultural techniques